CTR Catholic sees parents as partners in education. Some things parents can do to help ease anxiety and apprehension of a child include:
- Focus on the positives and things they are looking forward to about school
- Provide reassurance and help your child to feel understood and supported
- Focus on what you can control and help your child identify what they can control and some practical things they can do to reduce anxiety such as getting organized, picking out school clothes, etc.
- Get back into school routines at least a week early – waking up, eating, going to bed at regular times
- Stick to familiar routines as much as possible
- Plan for the transition
- Allow for extra time the first day so you are not rushed
- Reach out to your school’s principals or FSLW for more information and support.
More information can be found in the links below:
- Help in Tough Times
- Helping Children Cope With Changes Resulting From COVID-19
- Supporting children's return to school during COVID-19
- Mental Health Helpline: 1-877-303-2642. This toll-free helpline provides confidential and anonymous services, crisis intervention, information about mental health services and referrals to other agencies.